Breanna Little ~ Literacy History: Assignment 1

 Breanna Little 

Literacy History: Assignment 1 


A Reader's Guide to Annotation - Wikiversity

When it comes to literature, becoming more consistently literate grew to become an on-going goal of mine. I yearned to expand my word choice as well as my speech whenever I get the chance to. Recalling some early experiences, I can go as far as elementary school, learning cursive and penmanship. Learning nouns and adjectives, solely remembering how difficult it was to distinguish the two at the time. Constant sentence constructing exercise, and of course the spelling bees where the winner would receive a grand prize of a snack or homework pass. These memories would later set the foundation of my love for word construction. Later transitioning into middle school, annotating became a repetitive exercise, consisting of using context clues, finding main ideas, and supporting details for future essays. Annotating in particular however still sticks to me to this day. How prominent and stressful my teachers would implement and lecture me how crucial it was to take notes and to give constant explanations to our reasonings. I recall the lengthy physical copy articles, in small font pages upon pages of information that needed to be marked up with thoughts for a grade.The hours upon hours of what seemed to be an eternity of writing down pointless remarks and thoughts scribbled next to chunky paragraphs made me grow tiresome and wearisome. Eventually I began to feel like it was pointless, but now looking back, it definitely made an impact in how I intake information.


Through those beginning years morphing to the present day now in college, I can definitely say there are some love and hate aspects of learning and interpreting literature in general. What I enjoy most about literature is how versatile and vast the topic itself is. Considering an art constructed by words, there are countless ways, formats, and approaches you can go towards. Give or take a few years of thinking long and hard I've decided to take that love for literature as a whole, to pursue a college education involving my major studies. Simply learning to be more literate challenges me to become more excelled in something that I am already personally excelling in. However, whenever there is love, there is also hate. Nothing is ever truly learning and grasping from something without a little trial and error. As much as I love to be challenged, sometimes I can bite off more than I can chew. Although it rarely happens, not understanding or simply failing in the first attempt I tend to take it too literally. It even goes as far as questioning if pursuing my passion for learning literature was the right choice for me to strive toward. A minor yet major flaw that I despise, it comes and goes as it pleases. Do I intend for it to come? Of course, I accepted it as a normal phenomenon. Am I prepared for those episodes to come? Yes, now that I am matured and accepted my learning capabilities, I am ready for anything. 


child reading alone – Priscilla BennettWe read to know we're not alone': Books as solace during our isolation -  Hannah Fielding


Branching in the specifics of literate building, I enjoy reading. Time to time I enjoy film adaptations of books and of course the books themselves. I love to compare and contrast the altering and similarities of the two to see how well the film executed the details of the original book. I encourage myself to join book clubs or persuade friends of mine to socialize more whilst still gaining that literate mind, but it typically does not work the way I intended. Already being an introvert as well as having a high dependency on myself, I tend to spend my hobbies alone. Whilst I read I prefer silence or white noise, for example at a library or quiet park. I noticed pretty early into my reading hobby how my mind and imagination becomes fully engaged in a still environment. Predicting for the future, I hope to find more ways to excel my literacy development. Possibly I can inspire others, sharing my methods of learning and of course finding a love for language building. As of now I prosper those manifestations and will continue to work diligently and conscientiously.


Comments